Today I got everything ready for the big day. I started off by going over the entire surgery with the nurse. I'd already read over the entire book they gave me about 3 times, plus watched the videos they gave me as well. They kind of laughed that I actually followed their advice and even stuck sticky notes all over my booklet. They said that nobody ever reads the book. Sheesh! Yes, I'm a nerd and I just want to be extra prepared. Here are a few of the questions I had...
- When can my husband come back to see me? - about 15 min after surgery
- What can I do to reduce the chances of a scar? - we'll go over all this in our 1 week appointment but it involves massage, tape, a scar stick, and some vitamin E oil.
- Will I have a tube in my throat during surgery? - yes, but not all the way down my throat
- What kinds of things can I eat afterwards? - soup, crackers, sprite (for nausea), jello, bananas, etc.
- What do you mean by overage fees? - these are very rare, but if I do have to go to the hospital then my insurance should cover it. Any surgeries needed to fix any imperfections will be additional.
...And lots more questions I had. I didn't want to miss a thing. After all my questions were answered the nurse had a lot of questions for me regarding my health. They just want to make sure that we don't run into any surprises during surgery or after. After that I signed a lot of paperwork going over all the health risks and possible overage fees. Done. Then there were the pictures. Oh yeah. There's nothing like stripping down to have several pictures taken of your pancake boobs, stretched out tummy, and ummmmm yeah, between my legs as well. That one was really awkward. All worth it though. Let's just hope these pics don't make their way to the internet.
So next week is the big day! Monday we'll head out for Bakersfield and stay the night, then Tuesday morning will be surgery day. Eeeeeek!!!!! Not sure when I'll update again after that. I'm sure I'll be in a lot of pain for awhile after that, but I promise I will update as soon as I can. Wish me luck!!!!